I suggest you ...

In round robin competitions, goal difference should reflect a team's or a player's rank when equal on points.This is not always the case.

This should be corrected.

9 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Joe,

Thank you for looking at this and replying promptly.I accept that you are not inclined to implement the change.

You will find, however, that most sports tournaments, especially World Cup football, rank teams on superior goal difference then goals scored and not on wins when points are equal. Take a look at this year's tournament and other competitions if you doubt me.

I am surprised that this question has not been raised before by others.

Ray

• AdminJoe Fender (Community Manager, BracketCloud) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Ray,

The 'normal' process for determining the order of participants in a round robin tournament is by (in this order) Points, Wins, Goal difference. Most top tournaments (such as the world cup) implement these rules. For BracketCloud we usually try to implement the industry standard so that the majority of users can benefit. Unfortunately we won't be able to change the way in which participants are ranked unless it is broken.

Thanks for reaching out to us!
    Joe

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Joe,

I have noticed that where teams or players have the same number of points, the number of wins appears to decide their ranking regardless of goal difference unless they have an equal number of wins then they are ranked correctly according to this difference.
    However,leaving number of wins aside and relying on goal difference alone, I have seen that say for example team A with 12 pts and for and against of 16:12 is ranked below team B with 12 pts and for and against of 20:18 when it should be above on goal difference.
    Have a trial league yourself to see if you notice this. Do you see my point or am I missing something here?

Ray

Feedback and Knowledge Base